Thursday, January 17, 2008

Because I'm SUCH a True Dork...

...I'm going to have to apologize for the sparcity of blog posts. The spring semester is already getting pretty involved as far as the work goes, so I might not have a lot of time to try and think of something witty or informative to say on here. Think of it this way: when you check in, it'll be a surprise as to whether something new has happened or not! Joy!

I really like my classes this semester. I gave up on the medical school thing, because the classes were making me miserable and I learned that I don't have quite the aptitude for or interest in them as I had thought. So I'm a full-fledged English major now. I'm considering going into education, since being a starving artist doesn't pay the heating bill in the dead of New England winter. No cracks about how teaching doesn't, either. Right now, I'm basking in the fresh glow of my dreams of becoming a Ph.D, so I think I can really take myself somewhere. And I'm hoping that I'll be able to churn out some more writings and maybe submit to a publishing company at some point soonish, just to see what happens. It couldn't hurt.

My teachers are insane. This is good. (I have a friend whose taking a survey on Nazy Germany, and her teacher-- from what she described-- looks like Karl Lagerfeld. I wish I were in that class so badly).

Intro to Sociology is taught by the chicest little woman I've seen in a long time.

My British Literature II professor can only be described as a mash-up of a biker and Taylor Mali. I know this man is going to be as amazing as I believe he will because the first thing he told the class was a story about how he got a beer bottle smashed over his head when he was moonlighting as a bouncer.

I'm taking African American Novels of Satire with a teacher I had last semester: the illustrious Winston Napier, Ph.D. This is a guy who is largely believed to be a drug addict, does not own a car, and is known to pull out a folding fan in class to beat the heat. He speaks like I imagine someone straight out of the Harlem Renaissance would. And he says "bellatristic" at least once a class.

The there's my education teacher. "I just want you to know that standardized testing and the MCAS will be hereon prefaced with the either 'goddam' or 'fucking.'" Enough said.

Life shall be good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails