Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Valentine: The Recession

My boyfriend and I believe that you can celebrate a commercial holiday like Valentine's Day without breaking the bank. For the next ten days, I'll be giving you guys some suggestions for fun, recession-proof gifts for your sweetheart. Each day, I'll have one simple tip and one item prepared for your viewing pleasure, in hopes that you'll have a Valentine's Day that's more frugal, but still tons of fun.

Tip #1: Skip the Store-Bought Card

Okay, I know this is a pretty obvious tip, but I think it's worth mentioning. I also know that women tend to go ga-ga over cards, so, seriously, hear me out. I think we've all been in a situation where we spent an hour searching for the perfect card for the perfect person and realized upon reaching the register that "Wait, I just spent six bucks on a card and an envelope?" It all seems a little ridiculous to me; cards are always pleasantly vague, annoyingly specific, shockingly inappropriate, or pointlessly blank (isn't this what we have printers for?) If you really want to get your feelings across, take the time to write out your own Valentine's wishes. If you're good at art, make the front of your card your very own stunning work of art! You're not? How much more endearing is that! I can't draw to save my life, but stick figures holding hands with little hearts above their heads will elicit a smile from even the manliest of men. If you're a good writer, write a love poem. You're not? Just melt your cheesiest of feelings all over the page. Okay, okay, it doesn't have to be all sappy, but you get the point. Basically, it's more thoughtful if you create something for your special guy or girl on your own instead of buying it from a store. Seriously, what's he/she going to do with a giant card that sings the chorus of "You're the Inspiration" every time it's opened? (SIDE NOTE: if this card really exists, I take back everything I just said so that you can send it to me. I'll be forever grateful).

For the Budding Designer:


For only $12 at Fredflare.com, how can you go wrong? I think even someone as origami-inept as I am would love to get this kit all wrapped-up in a little pink bow. The best thing about a gift like this? You and your favorite Valentine can have fun with it together, of course! What's sexier than watching your boy-toy make a pair of paper Laboutins just for you?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails