Monday, September 14, 2009

Spring 2010: An Underwhelming Start

The problem I always have with fashion week is that I always feel slightly bored. I've mentioned before that what got me into fashion in the first place was couture. I love otherworldly, crazy, creative designs, the kind that really tell a story, the kind that transport you. I love the showmanship of Galliano, Viktor & Rolf, Gaultier. As such, it takes a lot for a ready-to-wear collection to really impress me, to feel like it's noteworthy.

I started looking through the collections so far, and though I hoped that what I'd see (even though not nearly all the collections are out) would be captivating. Well, not really. I found most of them quite ho-hum and uninspiring (not aided by the fact that I've felt the models lately are looking more gaunt, weary, and-- dare I say it?-- occasionally elderly than ever). There were a select few, however, that showed some great pieces.

Behnaz Sarafpour


Very pretty, wearable pieces, especially toward the beginning half of the show. I agree with the reviewer, though, that the second half tends to feel a bit strained as she introduces the neon and florals.






Erin Fetherston


Covetable dresses and jackets abound, as well as some wonderful jeweled accessories.





Jason Wu

A well-rounded collection, of which I'd wear nearly every look. Jason Wu is truly proving himself to be a great women's designer beyond the Obama hype. I love playfully high-class tracksuits/sport clothes lightly peppered in alongside the adorably girly dresses and skirts. The shoes are awesome, too, might I add.




Lela Rose

It's hard to choose whether I love this collection of Wu's more. Again, this is a show that left me wanting to go out and snatch up nearly every piece for my own wardrobe, and that's what ready-to-wear should be about.











Lela Rose and Jason Wu's aside, I'm really hoping that the rest of the designers turn out some amazing work in the coming days so I can remember what it's like to watch a show with my mouth agape.

What about you? What are your feelings about Spring 2010 so far?


all photos from style.com

1 comment:

Nina (Femme Rationale) said...

love all the looks u posted! i would wear them all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails